Kuleana: Waste Reduction Program
Time & Location
About the Event
USE PROMO CODE FOR A 75% PROGRAM PROMOTION DISCOUNT UPON CHECKOUT
Kuleana Program Series Overview
LbE Hawaii's Kuleana Program is a 6-part series program that includes 6 mini programs dedicated to each of the state of Hawaii's Aloha+ Challenge as well as a full program that covers all 6 challenges. The program features sustainability-related lectures, site visits, collaboration, a project, and a presentation. After successful completion of the program, participants continue their efforts as sustainability advocates in building a sustainable Hawaiʻi and beyond.
For more information on the Kuleana Program, click here.
Kuleana: Waste Reduction Program Overview
In this mini program, participants will meet for 1.5 days balanced between online and physical atmospheres, and will learn specifically about the Aloha+ Challenge: Waste Reduction. By the end of the program, participants are expected to better understand this single challenge and shall dedicate life-long actions and advocacy towards the goals of the challenge.
Who Can Participate
FOR THIS SCHEDULED PROGRAM: We will only accept participants currently in high school, ages 13~18.
The program will include a MANDATORY pre and post program held entirely online on Zoom. The pre-program will occur the afternoon prior to the program while the post-program will occur immediately after the physical program.
1. Understand the Problem
Learn about Hawaii's Waste Reduction Aloha+ Challenge, the problems associated with it, and the targets we need to reach. Learn from and interact with Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii to understand the problem we are facing in Hawaiʻi and prepare to act out a solution with proper intentions.
2. Experience the Solution
With pre-knowledge, the right attitude, and with good intentions, participants will be a part of the solution - to do a beach cleanup community service, re-purpose the collected debris (rather than throwing it into the trash), then learn about prevention of plastic pollution at the zero waste store.
3. Be the Change
Through the successful completion of this short program, it will become the participants' kuleana to continue the work of inspiring others to be aware of the problem, solution, and prevention of waste in our community, through active community service and advocacy.
(subject to change)
Pre-Program: Friday, March 5, 3:15PM ~ 5:30PM
- 100% online on Zoom platform
- Program Orientation
- Introduction to Aloha+ Challenge / Waste Reduction
- Interaction and lecture with Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii
- Workbook introduction
- Site visit preparation
Main Program: Saturday, March 6, 9:00AM ~ 2:30PM
<Participants to breakout into 3 small separate groups and to rotate throughout the day to socially distance>
- Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii overview, safety reminders, intro to beach cleanup kits
- Beach cleanup (in small groups) around Kailua Beach & Kalama Beach
- Collect microplastics and other debris
- 1:1 discussions with the Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii team
- Zero Waste Store Lecture on waste problem, solutions, and prevention
- Shopping experience with a store voucher (included!)
- Lunch experience at designated lunch spots in Kailua, continuing the conversation on the problem - what tools are you using to eat your food with? (voucher included!)
- Upcycling Art Project - each participant creates an art piece from your collected microplastic/debris "treasures" with the theme of Waste Reduction / each group collaborates on the story, theme, and message of the art piece and prepares for a presentation
- Thinking in Systems with LbE Hawaii's sustainability team - think deeply about the treasures you have picked and trace its origins, then reflect on solutions and preventions
- Return home, prepare to meet on Zoom
Post-Program: Saturday, March 6, 4:00PM ~ 5:30PM
- 100% online on Zoom platform
- Breakout Rooms with your program leader
- Reflection discussion on what was learned and actions to take from now on
- Prepare for group presentation
- Group Presentation: showcase the artwork each member created with an explanation, story, key things learned, and pledge on actions of change for the future
- Introduction to online platform to remain connected, continue collaboration with peers/professionals/LbE Hawaii sustainability team
STAFF & GROUPS
- 1 Facilitator
- 3 Leaders (The internal LbE Hawaii Team)
- 3 Groups of 4 Participants + 1 Leader
- 12 Participants, 3 Staff Total
Operation During COVID-19
We believe that education shall be experiential, social, and meaningful. For almost a full year, keiki across the state of Hawaiʻi had limited to zero opportunities to have in-class instruction, face-to-face social interaction with peers, hands-on experiences, and field trips to bridge connections from class to reality.
We appreciate the efforts put forth by the City and County of Honolulu to limit (and eventually stop) the spread of the COVID-19 virus and plan to follow all city and CDC regulations.
To ensure the safety of our staff, all participants, professional partners, and our community, we will be taking the following steps:
- All participants and staff must be free of symptoms relating to COVID-19 including but not limited to: fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, fatigue, dizziness, loss of taste or smell, etc.
- All participants and staff must be feeling well during the time of the program
- All participants and staff must be able to wear a tight-fitted face covering at all times, indoor and outdoor, and while walking (face shields may be worn in combination with a face covering but not as a substitute to the face covering)
- All participants and staff must not have traveled from anywhere outside of the state of Hawaiʻi in the last 14 days prior to the start of the program
- During the pre-program, all participants and staff must take a mandatory pre-program questionnaire to ensure items 1~4 will be met during the physical program
- During the physical program, total group gathering sizes may never exceed five (5) people at any given time
- A rotation system will allow small groups of five (1 leader + 4 participants) to experience different activities with the direction of a timed schedule system (leaders will adhere to the schedule)
- Physical distancing will be required at all times as possible during the program, even between group members and leaders
- The physical portion of this particular program will occur primarily outdoors in large open spaces where physical distancing will remain a requirement
- The pre and post programs are to be purposely held online to allow for seamless communication as a whole group, as well as to have a recorded session that will be made available for "play-back"
- 1.5 days hybrid program
- Professional Lectures
- Dedicated Trained Program Leaders (1 Leader: 4 Students)
- Site Visits
- Hands-On Activities
- Group Discussions
- Zero Waste Store Shopping Voucher
- Kailua Lunch Voucher
- Lifetime access to LbE's online learning hub platform for continued collaboration with peers/professionals/LbE Hawaii sustainability team
- Future Program Discounts
- Event/Summit Discounts
- Webinar Discounts
- Kuleana: Waste Reduction 3/6$120$1200$0